A gorgeous center hall colonial style home is currently on the market! 10 Arbutus Aveune is located in Prince’s Bay, off of Amboy Road. The corner property is a two family detached home with four bedrooms and four bathrooms.
The elegant stone and vinyl exterior is paired with granite and stone front steps that lead up to the front door with sidelights. The driveway leads to the two door garage that fits up to three cars. Just from the outside, seeing the large windows, you can just tell how bright the inside can be. Additionally, all the windows are custom Pella; the blinds are built in so you never have to worry about changing or cleaning the blinds!
There is a two-story entryway that welcomes you with radiant heated tiled floors. The enchanting wrought Iron chandelier is apart of the property and includes a built-in chandelier lift that will make cleaning quite easily. To the right of the entryway is the dining room and to the left is the living room. The living room and dining room both feature Brazilian Cherry Wood floors and bay windows.
Follow the radiant heated tile floors into a beautiful eat-in kitchen. Equipped with recessed lighting, the kitchen includes granite countertops, maple wood custom cabinets that have a lifetime warranty, and all stainless steal and energy efficient appliances: oven, microwave, dishwasher, and a touch sensor faucet. The breakfast bar island has a heat induction cooktop, ideal for you to cook and conveniently serve your family. Above the spot for the refrigerator, there is a built in wine rack. There is an eat-in area to fit a table. The back wall of the area has double doors that grant access to the deck in the backyard. The kitchen also includes a half bathroom.
Most importantly, the open concept spotlighted on the first floor is perfect for entertaining. While your family and guest are watching TV in the living room, you can still feel included by interacting with them while your prepping an exquisite meal. There is surround sound speakers that run throughout the first floor.
Walk up the costumed cherry wood staircase to the second floor balcony. There is a large picture window bringing in lots of sunlight and oak wood floors.
Walk through the double doors and you’re now in your master suite that is equipped with recessed lighting as well as large windows allowing in plenty of natural light. There is a sweeping walk in closet! In one section, it is equipped with clothes racks and the other section has a built in washer and dryer that is staying with the property. There is additional doors inside that closet that leads to storage space.
The spacious bathroom inside the master bedroom has radiant heated floors, decorative tiles all throughout, and includes his-and-hers separate granite countertop sinks. Finally, there is a large custom stand up shower with two shower heads. This home has a tankless water heater, so you will never run out of hot water!
There are three other bedrooms on the second floor. The two bedrooms that face the front of the home are large, carpeted, and have two closets. The other bedroom is also large and includes the carpeted floors. This bedroom, however, has one very large closet. There is also a shared full bathroom on the second floor that is half tiled and a double sink vanity with granite countertop and a wall mirror.
10 Arbutus ave is ready for you to make your home. The unfinished basement is ready to be completed and made for your own! It has 9ft ceilings, a half bathroom, and a separate entrance from the side of the house. There is an attic in this home that can be accessed in the home’s second bedroom on the top floor. All rooms in the home are wired for hanging light fixtures as well as for internet and cable. Another great feature that this Prince’s Bay treasure has is that the apartment is completely separate from the main house. It has its own entrance on the side of the home. This one bedroom apartment also has all stainless steel appliances.
The S55 bus stop is located right on the corner if needed. The Huguenot train station is close by, conveniently bringing you straight to the Staten Island Ferry for your commute to Manhattan! There are schools for all ages and grades in the area: P.S.5, P.S.36, P.S.55, I.S.7, I.S.75, Tottenville High School, Oakdale Academy, and Our Lady Star of the Sea. Our last favorite thing about this home is the beautiful park surrounding it. There is Blue Heron Park Preserve and Arbutus Creek Bluebelt.Read more
Memorial Day weekend is among us, ringing in the beginning of the summer! Our days are about to be filled with sunshine, sunblock, and GADGETS! There are technology devices that will make your summer plans even more pleasant.
iGrill (2) from iDevices will perfectly cook your meat every time! It uses wired probes to measure the temperature of up to four different pieces of meats at once. It connects to your iOS device to let you know when something has reach its desirable temperature, even when you’re 150 feet away from the grill.
As long as you are under the sun, this solar powered bag will come in handy to charge your phone, music player, tablet, etc. The bag has a flexible solar panel on the side that generates up 13 watts of power! It can be perfect for beach days, camping trips, and hiking!
George Foreman GGR50B Grill
This grill features 240 square inches of a grilling surface, adjustable temperature control, and a half foot high stand. It is portable, allowed to be used indoors or outdoors, and easy to clean with the non-stick surface!
Take a summer twist to bumper cars with these floats for your swimming pool. Just simply inflate the battery powered float, hop-in, and press the accelerator, and steer the boat around.
Want to know how safe it is to be outside in the sun? There are monitors that can detect how much UV radiation you are being exposed to.Read more
Upon the arrival of a new season, also cues in the sneezing, the itching, and the coughing fits. There is no reason you should miss being outdoors due to allergies. Here are our top ten ways to relieve you from seasonal allergies!
1. Eating. Changing your diet can solve almost any health problem. While you are suffering from allergies, avoid dairy products. This will help with breaking up your congestion. Instead, fill your diet with omega-3 rich fatty foods (salmon), olive oil, walnuts, flaxseed, ginger, tomatoes, garlic, berries, and green tea. All these are anti-inflammatory and will help relieve your allergies.
2. Honey. Having local honey will help relieve seasonal allergies. When bees create honey, the pollen from the flowers they have pollinated rubs off from the bee, into the honey. This makes eating local honey like a vaccine; local honey is introducing your body to pollen you’re allergic too, giving your body a way to become use to those allergens and grow immune to them. Add honey to a [berry] smoothie, frozen yogurt, or just have take a teaspoon straight. Just be sure to not add it to heat, such as tea. Heat will kill off all the good enzymes you would need.
3. Sinus rinse. When you are fully congested, consider rinsing out your sinuses. Try the Neti-pot. It will flush out all allergens and leave you feeling clear! To prevent yourself from becoming congested, daily rinse your nose with saline sprays. Nose sprays can flush out your nasal passage. It is most effective to use saline solution before your symptoms kick in. Make it apart of your morning routine to start your day.
4. Cool water. At the end of the day, rinse yourself with cool water. Doing this will rinse off all and any pollens stick in your hair or skin. This will also ensure that you do not transfer these pollens into your bed.
6. Avoid outdoors. We are not saying you should stay inside all season long, but you should at least avoid being outside on dry or windy days. The best time to be outside is after a good rainfall.
7. Close windows. Keep your windows and outside doors close on days with a high pollen count. Opt to turn on your AC (or heat, depending on the season,) on these days.
8. Probiotics. When you are having an allergy attack, an antibody is released into your blood, which simulates a neurotransmitter that causes a runny nose, watery eyes, and sneezing fits. Having a yogurt a day will release friendly bacteria, reducing allergy symptoms. Go for Greek yogurt, or soy if you plan on following #1 and avoiding dairy.
9.Take meds at night. All your symptoms are at their worse during the early daytime, especially mornings. Morning are already tough on most people. Take your medication at night to prevent these morning attacks.
10. Change your car’s cabin air filter. It is a great idea to do this yearly. Old filters tend to blast pollen into your face.
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.Read more
Happy National Pizza Party Day! It may come to a shock to most people, but pizza and technology do have some things in common.
We live in an age of convenience. So convenient that we can order Dominoes straight from our Samsung Smart TV. Dominoes has taken full advantage of using technology by taking next steps in ordering food. First, they have us voice command ordering through their smartphone apps and now give us the dual screen on our smart televisions. That is one way to tackle a craving.
The next food chain to be innovating is Pizza Hut. They are collaborating with Chaotic Moon Studios, best known for their work with Whole Foods market, Marvel, and Starbucks. They plan on including technology to create a visible futuristic table.
The inactive tabletop will recognize your hand swipes while you control and design what type of pizza you would prefer: size, servings, and toppings. Additionally, you can order sides and desserts from the table’s interface, as well as pay your bill. While waiting for your food to come out (which the timer will be displayed on the table), you can play games through some of your favorite apps that are loaded on the table’s screen!Read more
Located on a private cul-de-sac street in Tottenville, right across the street from P.S.1 and I.S. 34. The walk way up to the home has stone pavers. The exterior of the home displays a half stone and half stucco, accompanied with a porch that is the horizontal length of the home’s front yard. Finally, there is a driveway that fits up to two cars.
There is a formal room that greets you from the entrance. This large room has hardwood floors and nine-foot ceilings paired with custom moldings. The crown molding is throughout the home, however the entry way contains crown, chair, and floor moldings. From this roomy space, you can access the second floor through the fold back staircase, as well as gain access to the basement.
Past the entrance room, you will set afoot into the open space layout of the dining room, kitchen, and living room. The dining room will be the first space you will see. There are hardwood floors with trey ceilings and high hats and hanging light fixture. The room is perfectly lite during the day with a bay window.
Adjacent to the dining room is the kitchen. The granite tiled floors match delightfully with the granite countertops and backsplash. The custom cherry wood cabinets wrap around the very large kitchen. There are high hats included in this room and the appliances featured are stove, microwave, and refrigerator. Next to the kitchen is a fully tiled half bathroom.
The living room also includes the large open space and many features from the other two rooms: nine-foot ceilings, trey ceilings, high hats, and a ceiling fan fixture. There is a granite fireplace in the living room, making ideal to get cozy on cool nights while you enjoy your television programs.
Additionally, there is access to the side deck of that leads to the backyard. The side of the house has a built in deck with grill area. The backyard is paved with an above ground pool, patio space large enough for patio furniture, and a goldfish pond. There are also two sheds in the yard.
The master bedroom suite is incredible! It has cathedral ceilings with high hats. With the marble fireplace, you will love spending you nights in this room. There is also a walk in closet and private custom bathroom. The bathroom includes a custom made double vanity sink, custom tile work, a Jacuzzi tub, and stand up shower.
There are three more bedrooms on the second floor and a full bathroom. The second bedroom is a humble sized room located across from the bathroom. This space can make an endearing kids room, or excellent for a home office. The third bedroom is large and bright. It includes a view of the front of the home, and is spacious enough to fit a king size bed with plenty of additional room. The fourth bedroom is perfect sized to fit a full to queen bed set and has the same view of the third bedroom.
The home does not end here. There is a fully finished basement that is carpeted. Down there, you will find the laundry room, utility room, and two built in extra storage closets. There are two rooms, giving your endless possibilities to convert them into extra bedrooms, family rooms, a man cave, etc.
Beside 507 Academy Avenue being located across the street from P.S.1 and I.S.34, the other schools in the area include P.S.6, P.S/I.S. 25 South Richmond High School, Our Lady Help Of Christains, Staten Island Montessori, and Gateway Academy. Furthermore, the MTA bus stops that can be caught in this neighborhood are S59, S78, and X17C.
For more information on this house, or other Real Estate listings in Staten Island, you can contact Lindsey Mattsson, licensed Realtor with RealEstateSINY.com: (718) 966-9669.Read more
“How we are going to pay off our student loans?” seems to be a question that is currently circulating rapidly. There are many ways to get your loan paid down swiftly that you may not have been aware of, until now. Here are our top ten tips to pay off your student loan and quickly!
1. Make payments while you are still in school. Beginning to put money towards your loans before you graduate will help you pay them off faster. You are better off beginning to pay as soon as possible, rather than waiting. Any payments you make while you are still attending school, or during the six-month grace period, will lessen the interest capitalization and can save you money in the long run! Just check with your loan service to be sure there are no repayment penalties.
2. Income based repayment plan. The Department of Education has a program to help manage student loan debt by reducing monthly payments. These payments are determined by your annual income from the previous year. It is definitely worth a look into if you’re an individual with a low income, or someone who is curious to know if you can lower the required monthly cost of your loan.
3. Get help from your employer. Some employers offer assistance with your student loans. There are some private companies that have their own existing programs (ask your HR representative). However, there is multiple foundations and programs that will assist people who work in specific field, such as education, medical, and government. These programs will reward their employees who work for them two years or more with $10,000 to $50,000 just to pay off their student loans.
4. Pay more than required each month. This is the best way to pay down a loan fast. When you make loan payments, you pay off any interest that has accrued since your last payment. The rest goes to lower your principle balance. If you pay more than required, the extra money will go straight to lowering your loan’s balance.
5. Switch to bi-weekly instead of monthly payments. Paying more than once a month will knock your interest down and lower the general loan’s balance. Doing this lessens the time between payments, therefore limiting the accumulation of interest. This is a great idea if you get paid bi-weekly. Just schedule yourself to deduct from your paycheck to your loan.
6. Take advantage of tax deductions. Your student loans can be a tax deduction based on your income and whether you are claiming alone or not. However, when you get refunded, consider putting majority, or all of the extra money towards you loan.
7. Volunteer. There are volunteer programs that offer education awards or partial loan cancellations when you join and actively work in their organizations. Zerobound is a program that provides an innovative option to reduce student loans for graduated students. Zerobound connects volunteers, organizations, and sponsors together on one platform to support each other. The programs helps graduates whom are either seriously struggling with their debt or only require some assistance with their financial relief based on their volunteer work.
8. Make financial sacrifices to meet your goal. Timeline and budget yourself appropriately. Limit the amount of time you go out, shop, and spend money. If you are a graduate working full time and living at home, now is the perfect time to take advantage and save for your future all while paying off your student debt.
9. Leave your credit card at home. Make it a new rule for yourself to only spend money if you have the cash on you. We tend to just use our credit cards without realizing the amount of money we are actually spending. This will help you rethink your purchases and stop yourself from buying expensive merchandise. For example, getting a new car would be wonderful and look great, but not being in a lifetime of debt is even better.
10. Pay off the highest-interest rate loan first. You are paying the most on those loans, so you will want to get those paid off right away!
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.Read more
The home’s exterior is half-and-half with a brick bottom and shingle top. The cement path and stair walk-up to the front door is accompanied by the big lawn area and dirt patch with greenery and space for gardening flowers. There a port from the street that leads into the yard, ideal for parking your car.
Enter through the maroon colored front door and onto the hardwood floors of the bright living room. The room is lite by the bow window. The current owners décor features a three-piece couch and a sitting area by the window. This room is expansive enough to fit your furniture and not feel cluttered!
Walk further into the home, past the half bathroom on the first floor, and enter into the large eat-in kitchen and dining room combination. The floor has subway tiles, and it matches perfectly with the grey countertops and white cabinets and appliances: stove, dishwasher, and refrigerator. In the dining area, there is a hanging light feature ready to light your meals. There are sliding doors in these rooms to enter the yard.
To the second floor, there are three bedrooms and a total of two bathrooms. The master bedroom ensuite has cathedral ceilings, carpeted floors, and a large window with a transom window above. There is a closet with sliding doors. Next to that the closet doors, is the door to access the master bedroom’s private bathroom.
The basement inside this home is perfect for a guest quarters. With an entrance of its own from the side yard, the basement has a kitchenette area, family room, three-quarter bathroom, and small room that can be used as a guest bathroom! Though, these three rooms have endless possibilities upon you moving in: men cave, play room, additional bedroom, etc. The utility and laundry room can also been found in the basement.
The features do not end within the four walls of the home. The highway, Pearl Harbor Memorial Expressway, is conveniently located by home, but not close enough to hear the cars driving throughout the day. The schools in the area include P.S.56 and I.S.75. The buses you can catch are the S55 and S74.
For more information on this house, or other Real Estate listings in Staten Island, you can contact Michael Kustin, licensed Realtor with RealEstateSINY.com: (718) 966-9669.Read more
If you are a returning reader, you are already fully aware of our excitement when something energy sufficient is about the hit the market. Tesla Motors, INC. is an American car company that designs, makes, and sells electric cars and components. Recently, Tesla’s CEO, Elon Musk, announced the Powerwall.
It will be a wall mounted battery for our houses. This will prompt our house to use clean energy, such as solar and wind. When we install solar polars to our homes now, the panels absorb a great deal of energy during the day, but without a battery storing it, that energy goes wasted. During the day, your home is running fulling off the solar panels, but at night, your home relays on the grid. The grid gets most its energy from coal, gas, and other nuclear reactors.
While there are currently batteries you can purchase to store this extra energy from your solar panels, they are quite expensive. Tesla’s Powerwall will be the cheapest home battery on the market, starting at the lowest of $3,000.
This is how the Powerwall will work: when the sun is out, solar panels will power your house, as well as charging the Powerwall at the same time. When the sunsets, the charged Powerwall will kick in to power your house until the sun rises again. This can allow people to power their home without any help from the grid! This will be beneficial to not only our environment, but to our electric bills too. Electric companies in highly populated areas charge people a little more to use the electricity during peek hours: later afternoon and early evening. That is when the Powerwall will come in handy. Due to its smart technology, it will only relay on the grid when the cost of using the grid is cheap. During the peek hours, it will power your home with its stored energy. Not only that, you could even be able to sell back energy to electric companies that you did not us and make money off this purchase!
This is not limited to just homes; offices, buildings, factories, and malls can all get the powerful, as long as they also have solar panels.
What do you think about the Tesla energy? Will you start saving up your money to install one into your house? Join our conversation on Facebook or Twitter!Read more
Saving money is a large concern nowadays. We have provided you with many money saving tips this year, and we shall continue with them. With summer coming around, you will want to have a little extra pocket change, and you can accomplish this by managing your household cost. This can be a large priority, especially if you are trying to come out of debt and live comfortably. Just by changing minor improvements with your budget and purchases, you can save up to thousands in the long run.
1. Quit buying disposable and expensive toiletries. You will be surprised one how much you’re spending on disposable and expensive razors, toothbrushes, shaving gels, etc. Invest in electric shavers and electric toothbrush with washable parts. As per the other toiletries, use coupons or sales to determine your purchase.
2. Eat Healthier. Many are under the impression that eating healthier means eating organic and spending more money on food. This is not true. Eating a healthy diet means cutting back on calories, which equals buying less food we do not typically need to indulge in everyday, like junk food. Eating healthy will also improve your health, hopefully cutting back on doctor visits.
3. Cooking and Gardening. It is time to develop new skills and hobbies. If you do not cook or garden on your own already, it is something you should consider learning. Cooking your own meals will limit the amount of times you order in or go out to a restaurant. While cooking, take advantage of your garden skills by growing fruits, vegetables, and herbal spices you can add to your dishes, rather than having to purchases those in the store.
4. Bargain shop. Always be on the lookout for a good bargains and sales. There are even websites that track patterns of stores and inform you when is the best time to go shopping in them based on when they drop prices!
5. Educate yourself on an upcoming purchase. Before you make an investment on a gadget or product, be sure you know everything there is to know about that item. Do your research: know all the features, check out the reviews, and look for what store is selling it with a good deal. Only buy if you are [close to] 100% sure it will make the perfect fit for you.
6. Ditch your bad habits. From smoking to excessive nights out to the bar, or bad eating habits to impulsive shopping; these things will add up and cost more than what you’d like to spend. This step can take strength and patience to make a positive lifestyle change, but it will pay off.
7. Wood burning fire stove. Keeping warm in the winter is a comfort we all desire. You may think those electric fireplaces will be a great purchase. As much as we will admit we like them too, they can rocket up your electric bill. Consider getting a wood-burning stove instead. Not only is firewood inexpensive, the stove will last decades.
8. Dress appropriate for the weather. We absolutely agree; coming home from a long day and getting into comfortable clothes after work it desirable. Just keep in mind that if it is cold outside, go for lounge pants rather than shorts to prevent you from making the heat higher and visa versa.
9. Use less water. We have discussed the electric and gas bill, now it is time to know how to save money on your water bill. This one is quite simple; practice that art of turning off your faucet when you are not using the water. While brushing your teeth, turn off the running water. The same goes with your dishes. Finally, try to keep your showers to a maximum of 15 minutes, and even that is pushing it.
10. Go to the library. Before you try and buy a book, or ebook, go to the library to see if they have a copy. This way you can read it and return it without actually having to pay the price of a new book.
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.Read more
The Top Ten List instructed you about which foods you should always have stocked in your fridge. Now, with the power of our phones, computers, and tablets, find out what dishes you can cook up with these helpful apps. The apps we talk about are free in your phone’s application store and can be determined through what ingredients you already have at home!
Besides having over two thousand different recipes on this app, it also includes a leftover feature. This allows you to enter up to 10 ingredients in your pantry and the app will suggest numerous recipes for you, along with a menu-planning calendar and shopping list to keep you organized. Great thing about this app is it is available for a free download on any phone!
This android app is perfect with helping you plan your weekly meals with the ingredients you already have. CookBrite will chose a selection of recipes you can cook based on your ingredients. From there, you can make a weekly plan and the app will even create a shopping list filled with the additional ingredients you may still need to buy. The stuff you do have will be added to your “inventory”.
This app includes fun categories, useful reviews, and stats on what recipes people most definitely will cook again. The app even has a shopping list. It is free on the android market and iOS app store, as well as being available for the Apple Watch!
Even if you do not shop at Whole Foods, or are depressively waiting for one to open on Staten Island, the app comes in pretty handy. It contains over three thousand recipes that are rather healthy and delicious.
If you are a fan of their website, you will adore their app. Free for download on both Android and iOS, the app includes a variety of different recipes and features the Dinner Spinner. With the Dinner Spinner, you pick that main ingredients you would like to use, and the type of dish you are planning on making. From there, it will select recipes with video tutorials you can try to whip up!Read more