0:20 October 4th– 2014 Soapbox Derby at Westerleigh Park
0:59 October 4th– Snug Harbor Art Lab Exhibits
1:33 October 4th and 5th– Pumpkin Picking at Decker Farm
2:09 October 5th– Fundamentals of Photography Workshop
2:49 October 5th– Open House NY at Historic RichmondtownRead more
If you are looking to move to New Jersey, this home for sale in Franklin Township has plenty of bucolic charm. Located in the Somerset community, 112 4th Street is a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom detached ranch home. Unwind on the large front porch as you enjoy the country life in this beautifully detailed brick front home. It has a 2-car garage and a driveway, large enough to fit 6 to 8 cars!
The living room is large and inviting. It has clean carpeted floors and a brick mantel fireplace, making it a cozy spot to sit down and relax. The adjoining eat-in kitchen includes appliances: dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator. The kitchen also has a sliding door which grants access the back deck and yard. Off the kitchen is the dining room which is very large and ready for you to host your next dinner party or family occasion.
The master bedroom ensuite is generously sized. It has a large closet and a bathroom equipped with a stand up shower. The other two bedrooms are airy and have captivating features, such as the windows that let in gorgeous sunlight and formal closets. The full bathroom of this home is enormous, with a unique floor plan divided into sections. In one section is the vanity and a large closet. The next section of the bathroom houses the water closet as well as a laundry chute.
This home is located in a great neighborhood! You will be close to Route 18 as well as Interstate 287. It is also has various facilities nearby, including Robert Wood Hospital, Rutgers Preparatory School, Cedar Hill Preparatory School, and Quail Brook Golf Course!Read more
In our world today, we turn to medication to help us with every little thing. What if we told you that you could actually just eat to feel better? You think this sounds a little simplistic now, don’t you? We promise you, food can be your simple solution. Here are the top ten most helpful and beneficial foods you should incorporate into your weekly diet.
1. Tea. Drinking black tea will boost your immune system. It is a soothing remedy for a sore throat and also doubles as a virus fighter, all you need is 5 cups every two weeks. Green tea is another good choice. Not only does it lower your cholesterol, boost your metabolism, and help prevent cancer- it also keeps you calm, concentrated, and focused. The miracle herb even fights acne! If you are feeling a little angry or under the weather, brew yourself a nice cup of tea.
2. Eggs. Ladies, this is for you. We’ve all been there; our hormones at times make us a little cranky. Trying to curb your cravings with sweets or salty chips will only make you feel worse because that is not the nutrition your body is looking for, and will cause extra bloating. Next time you feel like this, try eating scrambled or hard-boiled eggs. Eggs have many benefits (as you will see later on in this list) and will provide you with happy and healthy carbs.
3. Salmon. This fish is full of omega-3 fatty acids, making it one powerful food choice! Salmon will give your skin a healthy and natural glow and your hair some serious shine, and will also speed up your metabolism! The omega-3’s will also help calm your nerves and keep you happy. Salmon also stabilizes blood sugar levels and reduces headaches. This super food will give your energy throughout the day.
4. Garlic. It is a magical thing. Garlic contains a natural ingredient called allicin, which fights infections and bacteria. Eating garlic, especially raw, will decrease the chances of catching a cold. Let us not forget that garlic also detoxifies and lessens bloating.
5. Banana. They are enriched with vitamin B6, making this fruit a powerhouse! Studies show that bananas fight mental fatigue, increase levels of serotonin in your brain that act as an anti-depressant, and prevents headaches. The other benefit of bananas is that the fruit helps make your hair stronger.
6. Oatmeal. This is a great comfort food when you are feeling under the weather. It is full of beta-glucan, which has antimicrobial and antioxidant capabilities. Most importantly, it stabilizes your blood sugar and reduces the risk of diabetes. And just like green tea, oatmeal helps fight acne as well!
7. Chocolate. Are you feeling stressed? Treat yourself to a piece of milk chocolate. It will help to reduce stress hormones that can make you moody. Are you feeling a cold coming on? Have a square, or two, of unsweetened dark chocolate. Dark chocolate will decrease your risk of infection and promotes the growth of white blood cells.
8. Garlic + Fish= Anti-Inflammatory. Not only when the two are combined do they act as an anti-inflammatory, they are also heart healthy and cholesterol reducing.
9. Hard-boiled Egg + Banana= Energy Boost. This perfect pair can wake you up in the morning or give you the afternoon pick-me-up you desire. The healthy sugars from the banana deliver a speedy energy boost, while the healthy fats and protein from the egg keep your blood sugar levels from spiking.
10. Oatmeal + Peanut Butter= All Day Energy. This combination has complex carbs and healthy fats. It is a great way to start the day or even fuel your workout!
What did you think of this Top Ten? Share your thoughts by joining our conversation on Facebook!
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.
Images source: foodtank, eggubcabator.biz, foods-healing-power, blogspot, oatmeal-img2.timeincRead more
A stunning colonial home in a highly desirable section of the Oakwood neighborhood is for sale! 135 Oak Avenue is located on a quiet and family friendly block. This 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom home was constructed in 2013 and has all the trimmings of a suburban palace! This enormous, fully fenced in front yard includes two driveways along with a garage, with parking for up to 6 cars. The exterior has a gorgeous cherry-wood front door, stone and brick front, and a unique turret design, setting the first impression for beautiful interior.
In the home’s foyer, you are first greeted with radiant heated floors and an oak staircase leading to the second floor. To your left is a formal living room, with the same gleaming oak floors that run throughout the home. On the other side, the formal dining room, with its hanging light fixture and three large windows, already seems to come alive when you imagine the holiday gatherings that everyone will want to come to! Both of these rooms are decorated with crown moldings.
Also in the front of the house is a half bath, which is partially tiled and contains cherry wood cabinets, and entrance to the fully finished basement. The basement has access to the garage, as well as its own entrance, an exercise room, a large entertainment area, and a bathroom with a large walk-in shower.
Next is the dazzling kitchen and family room! Relax any time of the year in this cozy den with gas fireplace and large picture windows! On the other side, the beautiful kitchen is truly the heart of this home! The 42 inch accented cherry cabinets, granite countertops, and updated recess lighting all give this kitchen a modern flair while remaining warm and homey. Let us not forget about the stainless steel appliances: stove and dishwasher, as well as the microwave, which is built into the large center island. Behind the eat in area are sliding glass doors that lead to the outdoor trex deck and lovely fenced in yard!
Explore the second level and you will find the four large bedrooms and two full bathrooms. The master bedroom emulates a romantic hotel suite. After you wind down in the luxurious master bath, featuring elegant floor and wall tile, a jacuzzi jetstream bathtub, and stand-up spray shower, you can cozy up in bed to a warm fire, or pick out your next day’s outfit from the large walk in closet. The chandelier above adds another upscale touch, hanging from this lofty 9 foot ceiling.
The second bedroom is of generous size with hardwood floors and two closets. Two additional bedrooms are large with a private closet in each. The second floor shared bathroom is tiled with cherry cabinets. Finally, the top floor has an enormous, grand window in the front, which overlooks the yard and brings light into the entire front of the home.
This enchanting home delivers all the amenities and warranties that you would expect out of a new construction, as well as 5 zone baseboard heat and central air, a surveillance and alarm system with recording option, and a whole house sprinkler system. Accessible by a pull down ladder, the home’s attic provides all the storage you need!
The location of 135 Oak Avenue is just as spectacular as the house itself! It is located near Hylan Blvd, making it close to all transportation and shopping optionals available, but secluded enough to avoid the traffic noise. Cedar Grove Beach Place and Great Kills Park and Harbor are only minutes away. The schools in the area include P.S.50, St. Charles School, Staten Island Technical High School, and New Dorp High School. The MTA also provides various means of transportation nearby: S57, S78, X1, and the Oakwood Heights train station!Read more
This is an ongoing battle- which smartphone device takes the cake? In the left corner, we have the iPhone 6/6 Plus with a 4.7-5.5 inch screen and is running on iOS 8. In the right corner, we have the Samsung Galaxy s5 with a 5.1-inch screen and is running on Google’s Android OS 4.4.2. They are both professionals so we expect a good, clean fight! Okay, touch cases and let the battle begin: Is one phone really better than the other?
Round 1: Screens
There is a fast growing market for large screen phones and for years, Android dominated that market. Now Apple is joining with their new phones. Apple is trying to win back the Android users they have previously lost due to the device size. There has been breaking sales records since the launch of the pre-sale for the iPhone 6/6 Plus on September 19th.
Apple’s iOS system is known for providing a simple user experience. Android’s operating system is more focused on customization and ongoing developments of applications and other features. This reason alone is why many programmers and hackers opt for Android devices.
Round 3: Updates
Apple’s user experience will be the same on all devices: iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, and so on. All updates become available at the same time for all devices as well. The only downside is if you own an older iPhone, the new iOS updates may cause your phone to act slowly or will not include all the newer features. The Android user experience can also vary depending on the brand of the device, due to the custom software that manufacturers add on top of Android. Android updates are much different! For most devices, the software has to go through device manufacturers and mobile carriers before it can reach the user. This can often leave devices without updates for some time, leaving unfixed bugs and other issues. Google is trying to make an effort to fix this issue by optimizing the latest system version to be compatible with more devices.
This battle can continue on and on, but in the end, there is no winner. The winners are the users themselves. If an Android phone suits your needs, or if it is an Apple phone that carries the weight, go forth and get that device you desire. Quit fighting this never-ending debate on whose phone is better and just enjoy your purchase, because at the end of the day, it is a pocket computer that also makes calls- and that’s pretty amazing.
What do you think? Join our conversation on Facebook.
Image sources: skygroundfinancial, clingmarks, modd3dRead more
http://www.realestatesiny.com | 718-966-9669 | Upcoming Staten Island events during the fourth week of September!
0:20 September 26th– S.I. Outdoor Films- “Frozen”
0:47 September 27th– Smithsonian Day
1:16 September 27th– Fourth Annual Brewfest and Wing Showcase
2:16 September 27th– Ebony and Ivory Piano Concert
2:50 September 28th– Sneak Peak at Freshkills Park
Click here to visit our main site!Read more
There is a beautiful one family semi-attached home for sale in the convenient Staten Island neighborhood of Oakwood. The affordable 126 Aviston Street is located on quiet street, just below Hylan Blvd. Out front, you’re greeted a cheerful brick exterior, a front yard garden, concrete driveway with extra parking on the street. This 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom home also as a security system, hot water heater, and central air!
Upon entering the home, the formal living room will be your first impression. This area is bright and airy, highlighted by the large bay windows and hardwood flooring with custom crown moldings, which can be found throughout most of the home. Down the hallway is the extra large, eat-in kitchen. The kitchen is equipped with ceramic tile flooring, upgraded cabinetry, and standard appliances: refrigerator, oven, and dishwasher. There is access to the backyard through the sliding door in the kitchen. The paved backyard has a patio, deck, and shed.
A half bathroom and entry to the basement are also found on the first floor. The bathroom is tiled halfway up the wall and has adjoining access to the washer, dryer, and utilities. The basement is fully finished with ceramic tiles, high ceilings, and a storage room.
Three bedrooms and a full bathroom are located on the second floor. The master bedroom is large enough to accommodate a king size bed. It also features hardwood flooring, a large window that lets in gorgeous light, and two walk-in closets. The second bedroom has hardwood floors, two walk-in closets, and two windows. A third bedroom on this level is perfect for a home office or baby’s nursery. The full bathroom also has tiled walls and floors.
As mentioned above, this home conveniently located! Being so close to Hylan Blvd, it is close to several shopping plazas and bus transportation stops: S57, S76, S78, and X1. You can even use the Staten Island Railroad as an option! The schools in the area are P.S.50, New Dorp High School, Staten Island Technical High School, and St. Charles School. The neighborhood is also encircled by Great Kills Park and Cedar Grove Beach Place.
For more information on this house, or other Real Estate listings in Staten Island, you can contact Michael Martin or Elizabeth Del Priore, licensed Realtor with RealEstateSINY.com, at (718) 966-9669.
Are we all feeling the September blues? Are school assignments, new schedules, and the cooler weather bringing you down? Rather then being woken up when September ends, watch these top ten movies that are sure to put you in a better mood!
1. Midnight In Paris. Leave it to Woody Allen to make a film that is a literary daydream come true. Set in modern-day Paris, the plot centers around a struggling screenwriter that finds himself transported back in time to the 1920s, where he hangs out with prohibition-era artists such as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway. It is a magical movie with a surviving message.
2. 21 Jump Street. The reboot of the famous 80s TV drama series took a hilarious turn. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill’s characters are underachieving cops that are sent back to high school to solve and bring down a drug ring. With literally no downtime, this movie is enjoyable from start to finish!
3. Despicable Me. An animated movie that can be enjoyed by the whole family! All ages can laugh along as Gru hatches his villainous plan, which includes thousands of minions, an old evil scientist, and three orphan girls. P.S.- The sequel is good too!
4. The Princess Bride. Growing up, we tend to lose touch with our imagination. This fairytale film will bring us back to our youth, reminding us of the simple things and the outrageous imagination that we should always hold on to.
5. Billy Madison. Adam Sandler knew what he was doing when his production company made this movie. The story is bound to put you in an superb mood with the brilliantly stupid jokes and quotable lines, all while reminding us to always achieve our goals we set forth to do.
6. Elf. It is fine to watch a Christmas movie before Christmas season. Will Ferrell as the blundering Buddy the Elf will surely put you in better spirits .
7. Remember The Titans. This movie is a classic (and if you love sport themed movies, you just entered the end zone for a touchdown)! It is about a high school football team. You are shown their personal and professional obstacles and their ability to overcome them as a team, making them highly relatable and inspiring. It is an uplifting movie.
8. Cool Runnings. If you need another uplifting, motivational movie, this one will work wonders. It is about a group of Jamaican-born natives who try to train for the Olympic bobsledding. The film is based on a remarkable true story.
9. Up. Here is Another animated movie that is known to lift the spirits of audiences. The opening sequence will give you that quick cry you wanted, but then it is all uphill in this Pixar film.
10. Legally Blonde. This is not a chick flick exclusively, nor a blonde-only movie; so do not write this comedy off just yet! Watch as Elle Woods proves everyone who doubted her intelligence wrong. After watching this movie, you’ll be fully motivated to take on the world!
What is your favorite movie that puts you in a better mood? Share you thoughts by joining our conversation on Facebook!
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.
Images source: gonemovies, reactiongifs, theguardian, gifrific, tumblr, imdb, blogspotRead more
If you are looking for a splendid home with history behind it, you are going to fall in love with this property! 222 Fingerboard Road is located in Staten Island’s Fort Wadsworth neighborhood right under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. The two family detached colonial home was built in 1901 but is fully renovated! If you adore the cedar shake and vinyl exterior, then continue reading to find out all about the marvelous interior of this vintage home.
This 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom home features spacious rooms with original mahogany woodwork and hardwood floors, plus tons of natural sunlight. It all begins within the home’s entryway.
Walking down the hall, you will find the first living room and den. Further down the entryway, you will enter the first floor’s kitchen. This galley kitchen is bright with white tiled floors and backsplash, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. This kitchen also has a chalkboard wall and a large pantry. Next to the kitchen is the spacious dining room, which also has two closets. The large window has an attached window seat so you can enjoy the view comfortably. The sliding door in this area leads to the back deck and large backyard. The first floor also has a bedroom and bathroom.
The second floor has its own larger, separate living space. The eat-in kitchen features deep wood colors. It has granite countertops with a square tile backdrop, large cabinetry, and hardwood floors. The second floor also has a living room, dining room, and bathroom of its own. The second bathroom is on this floor and includes two built in window seats.
The third floor is private and perfect for the master bedroom. It includes a spacious bedroom with closet space, bathroom, and den.
Another great thing about this home is its surroundings. It is close to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge for an easy commute to Brooklyn and is only minutes away from the Staten Island Ferry for an easy trip to Manhattan. There are various MTA bus stops around as well: S51, S52, S78, S79, S93, X1, and X10. The schools near this home are P.S.13, P.S.39, Holy Rosary School, and St. John Villa Academy.
For more information on this house, or other Real Estate listings in Staten Island, you can contact Mari-Anne Pecorella and Anthony Diodato, licensed Realtors with RealEstateSINY.com, at (718) 966-9669.Read more
Many of us had been waiting quite patiently for September 9th to roll around and for Apple to set the story straight! We have heard rumors of a larger, crack free screen, new interior software changes, and even new products. The rumor mill can officially stop spinning, because the announcement has been made! Here is everything you need to know about the Apple announcement:
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
What is better than one new iPhone release? Two new iPhones released! Apple announced that not only will the iPhone 6 be available September 19, we will also have the option of an iPhone 6 Plus! They will both come with iOS 8 software, will have a slightly curved shape, and sport a thinner aluminum body. The display will have a resolution of 720p Retina display for iPhone 6 and a 1020p for iPhone 6 Plus (meaning it will have a crystal clear image). The iPhone 6 will have a 4.7 inch screen and starts at $199, while the iPhone 6 Plus will have a 5.5 inch screen and its starting price is $299. Both phones will also work in faster speeds and have a better battery life. If you are someone who cracks or scratches their phone screen often, the screen on both phones will be tougher. And for the selfie queens and kings, the camera has also been upgraded to 8-megapixels, which allow in 80% more light! So long, dark and blurry pictures! Apple will now have the predictive keyboard, eliminating the ducking autocorrect problems we all face.
The Health App and Apple Pay
These are new softwares that will come with the iOS 8 update. Apple partnered with the Mayo Clinic and Nike to create The Health App, which will be able to measure all your fitness activity. Apple Pay will be like having your wallet in your phone. Starting in October, you will simply be able to take pictures of your credit cards, which will store in your passbook, and pay for purchases by just scanning your phone! This will be accepted at any store that accepts contactless payments.
But wait! There is one more thing! Apple joined their competitors by releasing their own version of a smart watch! The watch will be available in different colors, strap choices, and designs. Apple Watch will start at $349 and includes retina display. The high-tech device will run on iOS 8 and needs to be connected to your iPhone. It can run apps including The Health App, which will monitor your pulse and activity.
Are you excited about these Apple updates? Join our conversation on Facebook.
Image sources: appleRead more