We all celebrate our dearest Earth on April 22nd and what better way to celebrate it then by protecting our environment! Saving energy and water has become very simple with all the gadgets and technology we have available to us!
Just turning off lights when leaving a room is very beneficial. There are also lightbulbs you can purchase that are energy-saving innovations! LED bulbs use up to 80% less energy and last 25 times longer than a normal lightbulb. The Stack Alba Smart Bulb is another great option. It changes brightness or turns off the lights based on the time of day. It will also learn your daily habits and adjust accordingly. The Philip Hue is our last lightbulb recommendation. It has an app to control your lights, even when you are not home, or forgot to turn a light off!
Speaking of being forgetful: never worry whether you left something on with this door handle. Off is a smart door handle that connects to your main gas supply and electricity. Just simply switch off the gas or electricity, or both, by rotating the dial when exiting your home. Everything is turned back on when you re-enter your home. This gadget is perfect for people who are always traveling. Off will save the cost in gas and electricity by reducing the standby power and helping counter global warming.
Another good gadget for your home, if you are set in your ways and rather not constantly turn off your entire house’s flow, consider getting a Nest instead. Nest is a smart thermostat that also learns your daily routine and habits and will adjust accordingly. The nest also has a smartphone app. Read more about the Nest here: Tech Corner: Turn Your Home into a Smart House!
This product is pricey, but worth it if you have a large landscape. The Husqvarna Automower manages steep hills, cuts evenly, leaves zero track marks, and even works in the rain! This gadget has an app which allows you to program and set a time for your mower when you are not home. If there is ever a problem, the mower will inform you through the app. Finally, the mower has a changing station that runs off solar power!
We will bring you back to EVA, the smart shower device that will help you save water by 50% in your household. Get all the information about EVA by visiting our previous Tech Corner blog and video: Tech Corner: Meet Eva, a Smart Shower That Helps Save Water!
How are you going to participate in Earth Day? Join our conversation on Facebook.Read more
Located on a quiet block in the popular neighborhood of New Springville, this home is a one family detached multi-level with four bedrooms and five bathrooms. The exterior is beautifully decorated with neutral décor. The lower level features a stone exterior around the built in garage and front door. The exterior for the upper two levels is stucco, with vinyl siding. There is a two-car driveway as well as off street parking.
The home greets you with the bright foyer that includes tiled. The home is set up as a two family home, but it s legal one family. You may take the staircases up or down the three levels.
On the first floor, there is a living room, large kitchen, bedroom and full bathroom. There is a secondary living zone on the second floor. The open layout includes a living room, dining room, and kitchen. Start with sunken living room that is large with recessed lighting, bow window, and hardwood floors. Step up into the hardwood floors and into the dining room. Continue following the hardwood floors into the substantial kitchen. The countertops are all granite with lots of cabinet space and stainless steel appliances: refrigerator, microwave, stove, and dishwasher. The commercial stove includes a stainless steel hood and if located on the large center island.
Off the kitchen are a laundry room and half bathroom.
Up to the third floor are the three bedrooms. The master bedroom is a whopping 16.8X13. It has a private four-piece bathroom with a steam room. The other two bedrooms are large, measuring about 18.7X13.6 with big double closets. There is a second full bathroom on the third bedroom that features a Jacuzzi tub.
This home also has an attic and basement with a family room, bedroom, and half bathroom. Finally, there is a backyard with a manicured lawn and koi pond.
Due to the location, this home is near all! There are plenty of shopping facilities around. The Staten Island Mall is two block away, making it walking distance. New York City’s soon to be biggest park, Fresh Kills Park, will also be by this home! The schools in the area include P.S.54, P.S.69, I.S.72, SS Columbia School, St. Patrick’s School, and Rabbi Jacob Joseph School for Boys, and Jewish Foundation School Early Learning Center. The bus stops to travel around Staten Island, provided by the MTA, are S55, S56, S61, and S79. The X17C bus stop is a couple blocks away, located on Richmond Ave, to bring you conveniently into Manhattan.
59 Locust Court is ready for you to move into today! The home has been redone, cleaned up, and painted. Located within a development in Rossville, this one family attached townhouse has remodeled rooms. There are three bedrooms and four spa-like bathrooms.
The home’s exterior has a corresponding maroon wood exterior. Just from the outside, with the garden bay and bow windows, you can take in that the home will indeed be bright inside.
The eat-in kitchen has new wooden cabinets that are accompanied by the black appliances: stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher. It also has ceramic tile floors and backsplash, and sliding door to the deck in the backyard. The 10X14 deck over looks the yard, and even has stairs to cascade down to the lower level.
The first floor includes a half bathroom. All the bathrooms are newly renovated in this home with lovely detailed ceramic titles and new vanities.
The master bedroom will be exceptional for a married couple! It is large with hardwood floors and two closets. It also has a private ¾ bathroom that has a beautiful vanity with a dark wood cabinet and white sink top. The walk in shower contains a head with hose attachment.
The second bedroom is nice sized with new carpet, a large closet, and windows that bring in plenty of sunlight, making the room bright. The third bedroom also gets plenty of sunlight and is cozy.
The full bathroom is located on the second floor. It has beautiful cabinets, dark wood cabinet and white sink top. There is a Jacuzzi tub with a showerhead with hose attachment. The detailed ceramic tiles cover almost the whole bathroom.
This home also has an attic with pull down stairs and tons of storage space. Finally, there is a finished basement with a ¾ bathroom, two large rooms perfect for entertaining, sliders to the backyard, and a laundry room with washer and dryer.
The home is conveniently close to the South Shore Gold Course and Country Club, and minutes away from the West Shore Expressway. The schools within a mile and a half from the home are P.S.4, P.S.56, I.S.75, and Our Lady Star of the Sea. You can catch the S74 or limited S84 bus.Read more
Spring is officially here, both in time and weather! By this point, you should be almost done with spring cleaning; freeing yourself of the mess and clutter that was within your home during the winter months. Now, you are ready for upgrades, changes, and pieces to add to your home, leaving your questioning how you were living without these top ten items!
1. Stairs with Shelves. It is time to make use of the empty space under your staircase. Create a storage closet or built-in shelving. Just do not store your 11-year-old wizard nephew under your staircase.
4. DIY countertops. Coat your kitchen countertops to look like expensive stone with Rust-Oleum Countertops Transformation DIY Coasting System. However, if your countertop taste does not prefer granite or stone, you may rather try a wood surface. Check out DIY Butcher Block countertop tutorials.
5. DIY cabinet tiles. Use peel and stick tiles to cover bottoms of cabinets. Now you will no longer need to use those annoying cabinet cover mats.
6. Built-in Dish drying rack. Something to consider is an alternate way for drying dishes. Drying racks can take up a lot of counter space and look grimy after some time. A built in one can be install in a spot on the countertop you rarely use.
7. Pet food containers. Stop leaving that giant bag of pet food around! Until Poppy’s Pet, smart pet feeder, is finally released, store the food in an upcycled canister.
8. Fold down drying rack. Ditch the bulky drying racks you set up every time you do laundry. Install fold down drying racks in your laundry room, or bathroom. They do not take space up on your floor and can be designed to make the ideal match for the room.
9. Shower curtains. Traditionally, when you use shower curtains in your bathroom, you only put up on. This time around, put up two. It is a new trend that is coming up and we personally favorite this look!
10. Measurement ruler. Instead of marking the walls with the progress of your child’s growth, make this DIY growth ruler to keep track.
Want to use these items, but you’re looking for a new home? Visit RealEstateSINY.com today! Let us help you find your ideal dream home!
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.Read more
Amazon is a company that never seizes to, well, amaze us! They offer more than we believe people realize. Prepared to be astonished with their newer service!
Amazon Home Services allows you to order professional repairs and other household assistance though the site. Apart of this program, they have introduced the Amazon Dash button. The Dash button is basically a button that automatically reorders a specific product you are running low on, with just one simple click of the button! It is that simple!
The set-up is quite easy as well. Just connect the button to your home’s Wi-Fi network and your Amazon smartphone, or tablet, app. Next, select a product you would like to designate with that button. Then, with just one single click, it will automatically reorder that product. A notification will be sent to your phone when the button is press, just in case it was a mistake or your changed your mind and you need to cancel the purchase. The button also knows not to respond to a secondly click until your first order has been delivered to your home.
The Amazon Dash button works with a variety of products. The Dash button is about two inches long and comes with reusable adhesives and a hook in the back so you can place it wherever you’d like in your home. You can purchase as many buttons as you please and designate each individual button to a different home product you often use. Remember, the Dash button is only available for Amazon Prime members only!
What do you think of the Amazon Dash Button? Join our conversation on Facebook or YouTube!Read more
Why is that when the rainfalls, the sad faces come out to play? If it is April’s showers getting you down, or just situations in your life, let us put an end to this rut. Grab yourself a big cup of coffee and go through these Top Ten way to de-funk your mood!
1. Enroll in a class. There is no need to stay home and sulk. Instead, go out and take a class that can improve your skills at work, at home, or life in general.
2. Talk with a friend. It is time to communicate with someone other than your pet. Call up your trustworthy friend or relative, and let them in on what has been on your mind. You never know, they may have the advice you’re seeking during your vent session.
3. Create a set of goals. Just based on our blogroll of top tens, it should be clear that we are fans of making list. Which is why we think it is a perfect idea to map out your plans, wishes, and goals for yourself. This will help you keep moving forward and straight out of the rut you have found yourself stuck in. Get even more creative and motivate yourself by designing a vision board!
4. Feeling overwhelmed? Take a break. Distract the replaying series of events or thoughts that are allowing you to feel this way. Studies have shown that distracting yourself, even for just a couple of minutes, is sufficient enough to disrupt your distressing mood. We highly recommend a mystery book or crossword puzzle.
5. Take a walk outside. On nice days, go for a stroll outdoors. Between physical activity and the sunny fresh air, some grand ideas can come forth! Besides your mind, your body will also thank you for that walk!
6. Eat, drink, and be merry! This news should put you in a good mood; there are food and drinks to help improve your mood.
• Stressed – eat dark chocolate
• Angry – drink green tea
• Sluggish – eat spinach
• Sad – have a bowl of healthy cereal with milk
• Feeling unsettled or anxious – have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
7. I woke up like this. Unfortunately, we are not all as flawless as Beyoncé. There are days you can wake up just feeling down in the dumps. The best way to boost up your self-esteem is an intense work out. Working out releases endorphins, and endorphins put you in a good mood, making your happy.
8. Exhaustion. Children are not the only ones who can get cranky when tired. Getting enough sleep will boost your creatively and thinking, and upgrade your mood. Try taking a 15 to 30 minute power nap to recharge your batteries.
9. Be optimist. We have a saying in our office we use quite often.
Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you –Mary Lou Retton
Just remaining positive daily can change your outlook on your everyday life.
10. Laugh. Because laughter is the best medicine.
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.Read more
We are huge fans of Quirky and the inventions that come from that community site. With April being National Inventor’s Month, we want to take recognition on this new company called Poppy. Poppy makes smart products with us in mind; the appliances think for you!
Their products connect, making them intelligent and helpful for everyone in your family. All the machines work directly with the Wink app and Amazon. The smart sensors for each machine will know when it is time to refill pet food, baby formula, coffee beans, filters, and more. The effortless ordering happens by being connected to your Amazon account to reorder your preferable brands. It will make automatic deliveries simple by only refilling exactly what you need and being delivered when you need it.The app will allow you to control, monitor, and schedule them from anywhere.
This smart coffee machine will brew you the perfect cup or pot of coffee on demand. There is a burn grinder that crushes the beans rather than chopping them. The water temperature, grind size, and brew time are all adjustable to create your own ideal handcrafted coffee. It holds and stores up to a pound and a half of coffee beans. The beans are grounded directly before brewing for maximum freshness.
This machine is easy to clean, and made with BPA-free, food safe materials. It can be remotely controlled and schedule feedings, using your favorite formula, which is stored in an airtight lid that ensures freshness. With the app, you can track and log feedings so you always know when and how much your baby has eaten. Formula is compatible with most standard sizes. Bottles can be simply prepared, at the right temperature, with just one hand. Serving 2,4,6, and 8 ounces, its dispensing method will limit bubbles, clumps, and conserve healthy probiotics, vitamins, and nutrients.
Pet is a smart pet feeder that can monitor your pet’s eating habits, schedule feedings, and dispense perfect portions. It has lid locking and a weight base safeguard, making it great for dogs and cats of all sizes. It stores up to 20 pounds of dry food and a sensor can tell your app when the bowl is empty or has been knocked over.
These smart appliances will be out later this year! Which one will you be purchasing? Join our conversation on Facebook.Read more
The pinkish tone brick front home is located on a quiet, tree-lined block in Prince’s Bay. A mostly paved front yard, paved backyard, and a two-car driveway that leads to the garage accompany this three-floor home.
In through the door, enter into the bright and airy living room-dining room combination. The large room has hardwood floors, which also run throughout the home, and a large bay and transom window. There is a bathroom located between these rooms.
Pass the rectangle archway is the oversized eat-in kitchen. This appealing room has white tiled floors, cherry wood cabinets, tiled backsplash, and appliances: dishwasher, stove, oven, refrigerator, and microwave. This room is vibrant by the sliding glass doors that lead to the backyard.
The master bedrooms ensuite is far-reaching with cathedral ceilings and has large sliding windows with a transom window. There is also a ¾ bathroom in the master bedroom. The second bedroom is commodious, featuring a large closet and a window that lets in gorgeous natural light. The third bedroom is ideal for a nursery or at home office. All three of these bedrooms are located on the home’s second floor, along with a full bathroom.
This home also has an attic perfect for storage and a fully finished basement. The basement is ready to entertain with its large rec room, an extra room quintessential for an additional bedroom or guest room, and full bathroom. There is also a laundry room and private entrance for the basement.
5 Wilbur Street is located in a very scenic area of Staten Island! Lemon Creek Park and Marina is only a couple blocks away. Wolfe’s Pond Park is also nearby. The schools by this home are P.S.3, P.S.5, I.S.7, Tottenville, St. Joseph and Thomas School, Our Lady Star Of The Sea, and Yeshiva of Staten Island. If needed, the bus routes you can catch are the S55, S56, S59, and S78.
For more information on this house, or other Real Estate listings in Staten Island, you can contact Irena Rozencvit, licensed Realtor with RealEstateSINY.com: (718) 966-9669.Read more
As long as the snow is finally over, we are ready to concur spring. Bring on the warmer weather, activities, and events for April! These are the Top Ten things you can do for this spring season!
1. Spring Cleaning. Have we stressed this enough yet? It is time to clean your home of winter and welcome in the fresh air and sunlight. Use our Top Ten homemade cleaning products to begin the process. Once everything is clean, use this daily cleaning schedule to keep yourself on track.
2. April’s showers will bring May’s flowers. Begin planting your seeds and allowing Mother Nature to begin the process of growing your blooms. From vegetable to flowers, the time to plant is soon! Get your soil ready by softening it up.
3. Easter Egg Hunt. On Saturday, April 4th, head over to Historic Richmond Town for their Easter Egg Hunt festivities! Just $5 for adults and $10 for children; bring a cardboard egg carton to transform into a fancy Victorian-style craft. After the crafts, hunt for eggs and meet the Easter bunny.
4. Bunny Hop. Another event happening on Saturday, April 4th is located at Willowbrook Park. This free Easter event has themed fun, filled with egg hunts, arts and crafts, face painting, and spring time games to get you into the spirit of the season!
5. BBQ Competition. On Saturday, April 11th, from 12pm to 4pm in Historic Richmond Town, join their annual BBQ Competition. Sample barbecue from contestants for the NYC BBQ Cookoff while enjoying live entertainment.
6. St. George Day 2015. Make your way over to the North Shore on Saturday, April 25th. Tompkinville Park will be celebrating art and the Earth. With free admission, you can enjoy live performances of music, dance, poetry, and storytelling. There is also shopping, an Earth day zone, and kids zone with arts and crafts, puppet shows, and more! Do not miss the dragon parade!
7. Bacon and Beer. Why not venture out to Queens? On April 25th, Citi Field Park is holding their annual Bacon and Beer Classic! There will be over 120 types of beer made by local breweries and restaurants from all five boroughs. While enjoying your beer, have food all made with bacon! The event cost $59 to $125 from 11am to 6pm.
8. Off To See The Wizard. The St. George Theater is doing the production of The Wizard of Oz on Sunday, April 26th. The show starts at 3pm, and tickets range between 18-20 dollars. Tickets can be purchased by calling their box office, or ordering online at Ticketmaster.
9. A Walk in the Park. There is no better spring activity than by visiting one of Staten Island’s many amazing parks. Take a stroll, jog, or run through the grounds, bring your kids to the jungle gym, or hit the basketball court. Enjoy the change of weather and the trees regrowing their leaves!
10. Sell Your Home. Spring is the perfect time to put your home on the market! If you are ready to sell, head over to RealEstateSINY.com to begin your journey!
What is your favorite way to bring in the Spring season? Share thoughts in the comments below or join our conversation on Facebook!
Check out our Pinterest Top Ten Board for more pictures and how-to links.Read more
Exactly one year ago, we reported that the Oculus Rift company was bought by Facebook for two billion dollars. What is the update on the device 365 days later?
The Oculus Rift was originally developed as a headset to be used with computers and gaming systems. The Oculus VR will be an attachment with phones. The Samsung Gear (Oculus) VR will pair with Samsung’s Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6, and S6 Edge smartphones.
Virtual reality running off a smartphone greatly broadens the addressable market for the technology. The PC is more powerful but mobile phones point to a world with a billion people using virtual reality headsets
The VR will work with non-gaming apps for mobile devices. The companies have taken note that people like photos and videos. Due to this, they are planning to incorporate photos and videos with virtual reality.
HTC will also be launching their own virtual reality headset, The HTC Vive, by the end of this year as well. It was even announced by Sony that they plan on making a VR headset too. It will be for the Playstation 4. Their headset, Project Morpheus, will be available by 2016! It looks as if virtual reality and Oculus will be a huge thing in the future!
What do you think about all these headset coming out? Will virtual reality be the next big thing, or just a little tech phase? LET’S DISCUSS! Comment below or join our conversation on Facebook!Read more